As I once mentioned, I love bread. Absolutely love it. If I could snack on bread all the time, I would. Unfortunately, I don’t often have the time or ingredients to commit myself to making bread (challah will happen one day though!). So when my friend posted about ice cream bread I was immediately intrigued and wanted to try it myself. Except I was also in DC with no bread pan or the will power to buy ingredients that I would most likely have to haul back with me when the summer was over. So, I tucked the recipe away on the internet and hoped that I would have time to come back to it later.
And then came Labor Day weekend and a brand new willpower and curiosity to make ice cream bread. I wanted to know if it worked, and if it did, what weird combinations I could create in the future. So on Labor Day (because I, of course, kept putting off doing errands), I hauled myself out of bed early in morning (well 9am and I had already been awake in bed for about an hour by that point) and went over to Target and the grocery store to do my errands. And I could giving you a detailed play by play of my day up until the bread, but I”ll just cut to the point.
It was good.
Really really good.
My housemate and I are still in shock that it worked.
There will definitely be more of this bread in my future. Chocolate, Strawberry, Chocolate Mint, Brownie Batter, Pumpkin, the possibilities are endless.
1. Prehead the oven to 350 degrees
2. Mix together the flour and ice cream until they’re combined well. You’ll be able to tell because it will begin to resemble bread dough and there won’t be extra flour hanging out at the bottom of the bowl.
3. Place the dough in a bread pan and evenly smooth out the dough.
4. Bake the dough for 45 minutes or until you can put a toothpick in and have it come out clean. (Mine baked for exactly 45 minutes)
5. Let the bread cool and then eat it!